This article will provide details on how to interpret HL7 Messages to help determine why Lab Results fail to import.
There are a number of ways to access HL7 Messages. Refer to Knowledge Base Article How to access HL7 Messages for further information.
1. Import Status is Imported : This indicates that the HL7 message has been successfully uploaded and assigned to a medical.
No action is required.
2. Import Status is Not in Processing : This indicates that the system has found a client matching the criteria but their medical is not in processing. This can occur if a medical status has progressed to Ready for Approval before lab results are imported.
To identify why a HL7 message failed to import:
- On the client Profile page > from the left side bar select HL7 Messages.
- Click on the HL7 message File (index) number.
- An explanation as to why the lab results have not been imported can be found under Status.
Solution: Revert the medical back to Processing > open the HL7 message > click Update observation result message. Lab results will then import.
3. Import Status is No Person Match : This indicates that the system cannot find a client whose details match those of the HL7 message. This can occur if there is a discrepancy between client details on the system and the client details on the HL7 message, such as data entry error in name or date of birth. This can most commonly occur if a name contains an accent or apostrophe, e.g. client profile surname entered as O'Brien, HL7 Message surname entered as OBrien.
Solution: Open the HL7 Message to review the Message Details. Refer to the knowledge Base Article - How to Access HL7 Messages if you are unsure how. Review client name and date of birth on the HL7 message. If client details on the HL7 message are incorrect, we advise you contact the laboratory to correct any errors and resend the message.
4. Import Status is No Medical Match : This indicates that the system finds the client but does not recognise the medical that the results should map to. This can occur if there are 2 medicals in processing for the same client.
Solution: If a previous client medical was not fully completed and remains in processing, it should be completed and approved. Then reopen the HL7 message and click on Update observation result message.
If a duplicate medical has been created in error it should be deleted, then reopen the HL7 message and click on Update observation result message.
If mapping still does not complete, open the HL7 message, input the medical reference on the HL7 Message, and click Update observation result message.
If all the above fail, review the HL7 message for other factors as listed above e.g. date of birth or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
5. Import Status is Error : This is a rare occurrence which indicates an error has occurred during the import of results.
Solution: Open the HL7 Message to review the Message Details. Under Status, an explanation for the error is provided.
6. Further insights into other causes of failure to map can be determined by reviewing the details of the HL7 Message.
Open the HL7 message > click on Results Map Tab.
A No Map Status will be returned for any lab result that does not have a corresponding health category within a Medical.
7. A simple comparison of a Raw HL7 Message that imported successfully with a Raw HL7 Message which failed to import will provide insights into the cause of a failure to map e.g. a change may have been made to the result format by the laboratory.
To resolve any issues not covered in this Knowledge Base Article, please contact our Support Team for help email@example.com